The mission of Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael (YOY) is to develop students into young men who are committed to a life based on Torah values. YOY provides students with excellence in Limudei Kodesh (Religious Studies) and general studies so they will have the requisite skills, knowledge, and achievements to be admitted to Yeshivas and colleges of their choice. Our goal is to provide a school environment that inspires a passion for learning and for Yiddishkeit (Judaism).
YOY is committed to forward-thinking education. Teachers know how to use differentiated instruction and provide blended learning by utilizing technology in their classrooms. Classes are small and students are accommodated in cohorts appropriate for their backgrounds and skills.
We are seeking a Dean of Academics reporting to the Principal/Head of School. The Dean of Academics will assist the Head of School in planning and executing all matters related to teaching and learning of the general studies classes at Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael. The ideal candidate will be growth oriented and self driven.
● Conduct annual curriculum reviews and overviews with the Head of School
● Drive the hiring of general studies teachers.
● Ensure a high-level of performance by observing, supervising, supporting, evaluating, and monitoring general studies teachers.
● Provide improvement plans for teachers, as needed.
● Coordinate substitutes as needed.
● Develop a rapport with the students to help them optimize their experience at YOY.
● Become a trusted leader to whom students are comfortable to turn with challenges or concerns.
● Facilitate conversations between parents, students, and teachers regarding classroom behavioral or learning issues
● Coordinate agenda for faculty meetings.
● Coordinate school field trips (companies and other institutions).
● Serve as Testing Coordinator and Administrator for PSAT, SAT, and AP.
● Provide our College Counselor with student test data from College Board and ACT.
● Coordinate test accommodations for students with disabilities (SSD).
● Participate in recruitment events with the Head of School.
● Participate in Parent-Teacher Conference evening, faculty meetings, and other such events.
● Provide liaison with the Boston Public Schools, Mass Department of Education, and Combined Jewish Philanthropies, as needed.
● Serve as chief onsite administrator in the absence of the Head of School
● Perform other tasks as assigned by the Head of School
● Create master student and teacher schedules for general studies courses.
● Research summer opportunities for students such as internships, jobs with campers with special needs, etc.
● Research educational innovations and best practices in curriculum, instruction, and assessment to share with faculty.
● Meet with teachers to ensure that adequate textbooks and teaching materials are available for the start of school.
The school seeks a talented, conscientious, and dedicated leader who is committed to teaching and learning.
The successful candidate should have:
● At least a Master’s Degree, preferably in school administration, or comparable training
● At least five years of teaching and/or administration of high school students.
● An understanding of the Common Core curriculum and how it relates to the subjects taught in the Yeshiva
● A passion for learning and for sharing knowledge with others.
● A desire to work with high school boys in a religious setting.
The general studies program at Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael operates four days a week in the afternoon, Monday through Thursday. The Judaic studies program meets six days each week in the morning. The school year runs from September to mid-June, contingent upon the number of snow days.
The Dean of Academics is expected to be on site full time while Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael is in session.
Salary and Benefits
The Salary is commensurate with experience and background of the successful candidate.
If you are interested in teaching at Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael, please send your letter of interest and resume to Rabbi Uri Feldman, Menahel, (Principal) at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact Dr. Peter Holland, Director of General Studies, at email@example.com for more information on Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael.